Church of the Holy Trinity

From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Recommend This Article:
   



The Church of the Holy Trinity is located in Trinity Square Park next to the Eaton Centre.

Completed in 1847 in a rundown residential are of downtown, the Anglican church is currently in the middle of the city centre. The church was built using an anonymous donation with the condition that the pews were to be free (in tradition the pews were rented or sold). This ensured a congregation of the city's less affluent citizens. In 1970, the developers of the Eaton Centre planned to destroy the church, but supporters fought off the attempt. It is one of the first churches to welcome the gay and lesbian community.

Personal tools