Distillery District

From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Recommend This Article:
   



Contents

History

The Distillery District was formerly the largest distillery in the world, founded in 1832 by William Gooderham and James Worts. The 13 acres and 40 buildings are the largest remaining collection of Victorian Industrial Architecture in North America.

After falling into disrepair and abandonment, The site for the former Gooderham and Worts complex was restored from 2001 to 2006 and is now an arts and entertainment community. Tenants include galleries, theaters, restaurants, cafes and boutique retailers.

Retailers

Fake snow during a movie shoot

Restaurants and Cafes


Galleries

Other

Art / Sculpture Park

Various large sculptures are located around the premises

Still Dancing

Located in main square - Trinity Square, the 36 ft tall sculpture is by Dennis Oppenheim.

IT

IT at the Distillery sculpture park

Created by California artist Michael Christian and located in the Distillery Lane is is next to Fresh and Wild Inspired by Orwell's War of the Worlds, IT resembles a tripod. It was orginal commissioned by the Burning Man Festival

Koilos

Created by California artist Michael Christian and located in the Distillery Lane. The 14ft tall steel structure resembles a crouching monster.

Passerelle et Portance

Created by Quebec artist Claude Milette, the stainless and corten steel piece consists of 2 bridge like structures. It is at the Parliament St. entrance.

Desire Bruts

A 72 inch tall bronze sculpture atop granite and steel. It is located outside the Thompson Landry Gallery and is by Jean-Pierre LaFrance


See also Wedding Photo Locations

Personal tools