Don River - Toronto

From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Recommend This Article:
   




The Don River is a river that flows through Toronto into Lake Ontario. The Don is formed from two rivers - East and West Branches - they meet about 7 kilometres north of Lake Ontario. This junction divides the areas lower Don and upper Don. The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is responsible for managing the river and its surrounding watershed.

Parallel to the Don River is Bayview Ave and the Don Valley Parkway.

Contents

History

The Don River was named by J.G. Simcoe because the wide valley reminded him of the River Don in Yorkshire. The Don was home to several former mills. The Todmorden Mills buildings still exist today. These mills were for lumber, flour and paper products. In the 1850s, the Lower Don was an industrial area. In 1879, the Evergreen Brickworks opened.


Activities

DVP / Don Valley Parkway

In the early 1960s, the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) was constructed through the Lower Don to serve the growing commuter traffic. This caused environmental destruction. Efforts are currently underway to restore the Don.

Notable features

Personal tools