Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres - Toronto Arts

From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Recommend This Article:
   



The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres are the last double decker theatres in the world. The Winter Garden (built in 1914) is 7 stories above the Elgin (built in 1913). Initially the theatres were built for silent films. Closed in 1928, the theatres were restored in 1981 by the Ontario Heritage foundation. The Elgin was used to host Cats for 2 years starting in 1985.

300,000 sheets of wafer thin aluminum are used to adorn the Elgin's auditorium. The Winter Garden is adorned with frescoes and flowers, birds and shubbery.

Details

189 Yonge St. Toronto
416 314 2871

TTC - Queens or Dundas stations, opposite Eaton Centre

Personal tools