John Street Roundhouse and Roundhouse Park - Toronto

From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Recommend This Article:
   


John Street Roundhouse and Roundhouse Park - Toronto


John Street Roundhouse is a historic locomotive roundhouse in Toronto, Ontario and is a National historic site of Canada. It is no longer in use for trains, but its currently a retail space and museum. It is located south of Rogers Centre off on Bremner Blvd.

The roundhouse was completed in 1931 as a maintenance garage for the Canadian Pacific Railway. It closed for this purpose in 1986, after which the Canadian Pacific Railway donated the building to the City of Toronto. It is the only remaining roundhouse in the city of Toronto.

Contents

Restorations

The roundhouse restoration began in 1997. A 17 acre park officially opened in 2010. is bounded by Bremner Boulevard, Lower Simcoe Street, Lake Shore Boulevard West/Gardiner Expressway and Rees Street. The park has 4 full sized locomotives, 3 freight cars, 2 passenger cars and a miniature train that can pull 24 people around the park.

Location

Tenants

Nearby

Categoty:Transportation

Personal tools