Odd Fellows Hall - Yonge and College, Toronto

From WikiTO - The Toronto Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Recommend This Article:
   


Northwest corner - Odd Fellows Hall

Odd Fellows Hall is a building located at northwest corner of Yonge and College in Toronto.

Set in the Gothic Revival style it was designed by the architectural firm of Norman Dick and Frank Wickson, and completed in 1891. The Odd Fellows were a charitable and fraternal organization, whose membership extended to skilled workers employed in trades. It originated in Great Britain in and its purpose was to provide financial assistance to its members during times of need.

In 1931, the building was sold to Dominion Realty Co. Ltd., which renovated it and altered the main floor to accommodate a bank. In 1971, the city council adopted the structure into the city's list of heritage buildings, but it did not receive heritage protection status until 1997. The former hall has been well adapted to house a variety of restaurants, offices, and services, and remains one of the most distinctive examples of old Toronto architecture.

Tenants

  • Starbucks
  • Yoga studio
  • Smoke and gift shop
  • Printing shop
  • W Burger Bar

Nearby

Personal tools